The Painted Room
There is a very unusual room within the present school buildings. It is a room decorated with painted panels which date from the late seventeenth century. These actually came from a house in Love (or Lovat) Lane, which was part of the Tower Ward School, just south of Portsoken. When the Tower Ward school merged with Sir John Cass’s School in 1905, the old house was knocked down, but the painted panels were saved and put into the new school building, where they remain.