The Cass Mansion House
The Cass house was large, built by his father, and sometimes referred to as the ‘Mansion House in Hackney’. Sir John and Lady Cass continued to live in the Hackney house, when not in the City, for the whole of their lives, and Sir John died there in 1718. A list of all the furnishings in the house taken after Lady Cass’s death shows that it was a large and well furnished home.
The house had its own stables, and storage barns and it had a lot of land around it. This was mostly grassland, and let out to dairy farmers during John Cass’s lifetime – possibly to make the famous Hackney butter from the milk.